Remake of VISION QUEST likely starring Twilight's Taylor Lautner
Two movies that inspired me to develop Grapplers Quest were Vision Quest and the Karate Kid, both being re-released in theaters in 2010 with 2 brand new casts. Remakes are usually hit or miss, but I think its great to get exposure wherever we can, especially in Hollywood. I will definitely be going to see both of opening night!
Will you go watch the new Vision Quest? Vote now, go to:
Another new week, another '80s remake. This time it's 1985's Vision Quest, which made a star out of Matthew Modine, Daphne Zuniga and Linda Fiorentino. (Sorry gang, but Michael Schoeffling -- aka "Kuch" was already a star for playing "Jake Ryan" the year before in Sixteen Candles. ... "Jake's my boy!")
Potentially taking over Modine's role as the lovelorn wrestler "Louden Swain" could be New Moon star Taylor Lautner.
"Taylor saw [the script] and is really excited about it," a source tells E! "It's very much in line with his athleticism. His character is someone who's striving for greatness."
Taylor It's my life's quest to never see a Twilight movie, so I can't comment on Lautner's acting ability. But that blank, robotic look on his face doesn't provide much optimism.
As for the remake, it sounds like the story will remain nearly identical to the 1985 script: A wrestling star falls in love with a 20-something artist who is living in his house with his widowed dad (played nicely by Ronny Cox in the original.)
According to Examiner.com, the 17-year-old Lautner has never tried wrestling. (He grew up practicing karate). One more bad omen: The movie would be make by the same guys who produced Twilight and New Moon.
Of course, this can be saved by the brilliant casting of the villainous Shute character. Where's Frank Jasper when you need him most? (Actually, he's reportedly now a doctor specializing in holistic medicine. Go figure.)
TOP 5 MEMORABLE LINES FROM VISION QUEST:
5. "I'm just the victim of a screwed-up nitrogen imbalance."
4. "Shute's a monster! A genuine geratoid! His own father has to use a livewire to keep him from f------ the fireplace!"
3. "Can 800 million Chinamen be wrong?"
2. "It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes."
1. "All I ever settled for is that we're born to live and then to die, and... we got to do it alone, each in his own way. And I guess that's why we got to love those people who deserve it like there's no tomorrow. 'Cause when you get right down to it - there isn't."